Monday, September 26, 2011

Another Day, No Dollars

My job search is never ending.  I just want to be gainfully employed as soon as I find out about my Bar Exam results.  But, as the days are counting down (officially 32 days), I am getting very anxious.  I've been doing my best to acclimate myself to the Augusta community, but with this terrible economy, it is proving hard to find someone who is willing to take a chance on you!

As a law graduate, you'd think it'd be a little bit easier to find employment, but it's actually quite the opposite.  Many times when I send my resume off to places that are looking for employees, I don't receive a call back.  I'm guessing that it could be because I am over qualified for any office work jobs, and under qualified for attorney positions.  It's quite the catch 22.  How am I ever going to gain experience if no one is willing to give me the chance?  I've worked in the criminal law field for the past 2 years while in law school, but now I am discovering that I need to expand my legal expertise.  State jobs are hard to come by, and even if you do, it is not the place where you'll become a millionaire.  More and more everyday as I sit at home looking for positions to apply to, I think about hanging a shingle and seeing what I can do for myself.

Although my job search has not been going it's best, I have discovered that networking is key.  I've met with various attorneys here in town, who will likely lead me to another name that I should investigate.  Every time that someone is willing to meet with me, I try to make it worthwhile for him.  If he doesn't have a job for me, okay, do you know someone who may, or if you have any projects coming up, let me know, I'll be your free legal help!  I've learned that when you meet an attorney and he tells you to email him, do it asap!  Don't wait or he may forget who you are!  I've also made a simple business card that I can give to these attorneys, showing them that I do want to work, so much so, that I am willing to put myself out there, even if no one ends up calling me.

Volunteering at the Augusta Bar Association's Golf Tournament was a valuable experience for me.  I got to meet plenty of attorneys in town and have some face time with those that I probably would never come across.  Although it wasn't the best of weather, I put on my smile and made it work.

So as I sit here today, another day with no paycheck, I am optimistic.  I know that I am doing as much as I possibly can for now.  Hopefully once I get my results back from the State of Georgia and praying that it's a passing grade, I can make all these connections believe that they should take a chance on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment