Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Weekend Update from Augusta

When my sister Jamie told me she was going to come visit me in my new hometown, Augusta, I was elated.  I couldn't wait for her to get here, as it had been since graduation in May that I last saw her.  Much had changed from May in Macon, to August in Augusta.

Upon arrival, I tried to show her around my new town, but alas, I didn't know my way around my new town!  Luckily, I had rode in the car many times with others driving around Augusta, so I had faint recollections about where I was going.  We decided to attend the Augusta Greenjackets game for Thirsty Thursday, where there are $1 drafts.  Our whole evening was a mere $10 for drinks and the ballgame, as neither of us were able to drink too much.
Spotted at the Greenjackets game!
Photo from Augusta Chronicle
Friday morning I was at an interview for a potential job (fingers crossed!) and the afternoon was spent at the Augusta Mall.  That evening we decided that The Chophouse was where we were going to eat for dinner, and it was delicious!  I had the prime rib and I was not disappointed!  That evening we picked up the local Metrospirit paper to see what was going on around town.  We decided to head to Stillwater for some drinks and left before it got too busy, but unluckily for us, we caught the torrential downpour!

We woke up relatively early the next morning in order to go to the Augusta Market located on 8th Street and the Riverwalk.  After scoping out what the market had to offer, we walked on the Riverwalk where we saw the local paddlerace on the Savannah River.  There were some homemade rafts and it was entertaining to watch the rafts try to reach the finish line.  Upon returning to the market, we decided that we were going to cook dinner at home that evening and picked up some homegrown zucchini and squash for $2, which cooked up more than enough for 3 people that evening.  Just before leaving we made sure to pick up some homemade lemonade to quench our thirst.  It was only $2 for a solo cup which had the perfect blend of sugar, water, and lemons.  Afterwards we walked up Broad Street and caught lunch at Blue Sky Kitchen.  We decided to finish the day with walking around Surrey Center and checking out the local boutiques, which all were very cute stores.
Augusta Market, Saturday Morning
I hoped that my sister enjoyed her time in Augusta!  I know I enjoyed having her here and look forward to many more visits.  It was nice to explore my new city with someone else who didn't know anything about it either.  My boyfriend joined us for the Saturday excursions.  He's from Augusta but hasn't lived here in seven years, so the experience was just as fun for him as it was for us.  Come back soon Jamie!

No comments:

Post a Comment